Sunday, April 15, 2012

out.

My illness has brought out the best and worst in people. I have realized who is in it for the long haul and who doesn't deserve to be a part of my life. I have learned who my real friends are. I have learned who my family is.


I have been very deeply affected-both by the selflessness of others and the cruelty of others. I have experienced true human compassion...some from complete strangers....and have also experienced abrupt coldness and indifference....some from people who have known me my entire life. some from members of my own family.


In this (what seems to be VERY LONG) journey, I have tried to make sense of things many times. I have told my story. I have blogged. These things help me to cope. However, just as I will never fully be able to understand what happened to my body, I will never fully understand what happened to the hearts of people who were supposed to care.


There are moments you never forget and, unfortunately, I remember the times people walked away just as vividly as the times people stepped up. While I have given up on expecting life to be fair, I would hope that those closest to me would be-especially after such a tragedy.


"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed by Lena